We have summarised all of the essential information in the FAQs below. If you are unable to find the answer to your specific questions, please contact the BW Legal business team directly.

Leave feedback

Your feedback matters to us. Please complete our customer feedback survey.

How do I update my contact details?

To update your contact details with BW Legal, please call us on 0113 487 0430.

How do I start repaying my balance?

The best way to start clearing your balance is by making regular payments. We will take the time to listen, learn and understand your personal and financial circumstances. Together we can then work with you to agree an affordable and realistic repayment plan.

Please contact us on 0113 487 0430 to discuss all your available options.

I would like to nominate a third party to deal with you on my behalf. What do I need to do?

If you would like to appoint a Debt Management Company or another third party to manage your finances on your behalf we would ask you to send in a letter of authority which will enable our team to contact them.

I am receiving correspondence for someone who does not live at my address? What should I do?

If the correspondence is addressed to an individual that does not reside at your address you should mark the envelope “not known at this address” and return it back in the post. Royal Mail will then make sure that any mail marked “not known at this address” will be returned to the sender. The sender will then update their records accordingly and take the appropriate action.

Should you wish to contact us and discuss the matter, you will be asked a number of security questions, such as your name, address and date of birth.

How do I make a full and final settlement offer?

In order to submit a full and final settlement offer we would require a completed income and expenditure form, to ensure your priority bills are up to date and to have a clear understanding of where the settlement funds are where the money is coming from.

How do I set up a repayment plan?

We understand that it is not always possible to clear your balance with one lump sum payment. If you are unable to pay the balance in full, and wish to set up a repayment plan, please contact our team on 0113 487 0430 and we will look to help find the right solution for you.

What will happen to my repayment plan if I do not keep up with payments?

If you do not maintain payments with us, your account will fall into arrears which will prompt a letter/SMS to inform you of this. By not paying your debts when they fall due your credit rating will be affected. Continued non-payment will make it more difficult to obtain credit in the future and, where credit is available, you are very likely to be subjected to much higher interest rates.

It is important that you maintain your payment arrangement with us to stop the need for any further action, such as legal action, being needed. If you are however experiencing difficulty in maintaining your payments then please contact our team on 0113 487 0430 so we can discuss all your options in full.


I don’t believe this is my debt. What should I do?

The original creditor has provided the address for corresponding with the customer. We would ask you to contact us on 0113 487 0430 and verify your identity so that we may remove the address from our system.

How do I pay and what payment methods do you accept?

You can use a debit or credit card, standing order, postal order, cheques, cash or alternatively, you can contact us on 0113 487 0430 to set up a direct debit over the phone.

Please ensure you write your BW Legal account reference on all correspondence, cheques, postal orders and other payments, so that we can deal with your account and/or allocate payments as efficiently as possible.

I am an individual, will this affect my credit record?

It is possible that the creditor may have marked your credit file as in arrears or defaulted. If the debt was pursued through the courts, there is also a possibility that you may have had a County Court Judgment (“CCJ”) entered against your credit file. If in doubt, please contact us and we will seek instructions from our client.

How do I check my credit file and where do I get more information?

There are various organisations that will be able to tell you more about what this means in terms of your credit file.

You can check your credit file with the Credit Reference Agencies listed below:

Experian – 0870 241 6212
Equifax Plc – 0870 010 0583 

Call Credit Plc– 0870 060 1414

Another company has contacted me about this debt

BW Legal is now responsible for pursuing this debt. You will have been contacted by a member of our team in relation to this matter. If in doubt, please seek clarity from them.

How much should I pay and can I pay over time?

BW Legal will work with you to understand your circumstances and establish how much you can reasonably afford to pay and over what timescale.

What happens if I don’t pay?

This depends on the type of debt you owe and your circumstances. Please contact BW Legal on 0113 487 0430 to talk this through. Ignoring the debt could have serious implications for your credit file and you could potentially face enforcement action.

The debt relates to a previous occupant

Please return our letter or contact us on 0113 487 0430 to advise this is the case. We will then verify this information and update our client’s records.

I dispute some or all of the debt

You should contact us on 0113 487 0430 as soon as possible. If this is ignored, our client may instruct us to take legal action.

Complaints – I am unhappy with the way I have been treated. To whom should I complain?

In the first instance, we would advise you to raise this matter with a member of our team. We recognise that sometimes things can go wrong. In the event that we have made a mistake or could have done something better, we will do our best to put things right for you. If your complaint is not resolved, or you feel it is something we should deal with direct, please write to us or email us at the details below:


Please view our full complaints procedure process here BW Legal Complaint Procedure

The Financial Ombudsman Service

The Ombudsman service provides a dispute resolution service to customers whose complaint remains unresolved.

We hope to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction without reference to a third party. However, should you have a complaint that we are unable to agree and/or resolve to your satisfaction or if you are not satisfied with our Final Response, or you have not received a Final Response from us after 8 weeks have passed since you first contacted us, you may refer it to the Financial Ombudsman at www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk; by post to the Financial Ombudsman Service at Exchange Tower, London E14 9SR; or by telephone on 0800 023 4567 or 0300 123 9 123.

Please be aware that if you do not take up your complaint with us first, you will not be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Alternatively, as we are dual regulated by the SRA you can also make your complaint to:

The Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 6806
T: 0300 555 0333
E: enquiries@legalombudsman.org.uk
W: www.legalombudsman.org.uk

What is a Subject Access Request?

A Subject Access Request is a request to see a copy of the information we hold about you such as whether any of your personal data is being processed, be given a description of the personal data, the reasons it is being processed, and whether it will be given to any other organisations or people or to be given a copy of the information comprising the data; and given details of the source of the data (where this is available).

You are entitled to only your own personal data, and not to information relating to other people (unless acting on behalf of that person).

You can make a Subject Access Request by emailing SAR@bwlegal.co.uk

How can I contact the data protection officer?

The data protection officer may be contacted by emailing SAR@bwlegal.co.uk

Independent advice and other helpful contact information

We’re here to help and our goal is to try and find the right solution for you.

However, we do also recommend that, where applicable, you seek independent advice on your circumstances. There is a lot of help and advice out there and this link will  provide you with some of the organisations who can assist you. Of course there are other organisations who may be able to assist, which are not listed, but we hope this is a helpful list to get you started.

Helpful Contacts


Contact us today

Speak to one of our team today to see how we can help